Death penalty links
Follow the links for further information about the death penalty.
Appeal to act from the WCADP – World Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- Death Penalty Information Center: Compiles statistics, sections of topics such as juvenile, women, cost and
- Death penalty news and updates from Rick Halperin compiles numerous articles on death penalty and human rights situations.
- Todesstrafe Nachrichten summarizes news around the Death Penalty in German language.
More info about the death penalty
- EU Guidelines on the Death Penalty
- The EU’s policy on the abolition of the Death Penalty
- A Report of the Constitution Project’s Death Penalty Committee (2014): “Irreversible Error: Recommended Reforms for Preventing and Correcting Errors in the Administration of Capital Punishment”
- Amnesty International
- Community of Sant’Egidio is working for world peace and has started the project of a worldwide moratorium on the death penalty. By Dec 2014, millions of signatures have been collected. Sign on-
- World Coalition: Created in Rome in May 2002, the Coalition gathers 160 NGOs, bar associations, unions and local governments who are attached to the struggle against death penalty and want to coordinate their efforts of lobbying and action in an international level.
North American websites
- EJI – The Equal Justice Initiative of Alabama: The Equal Justice Initiative of Alabama is a private, non-
profit organization that provides legal representation to indigent defendants and prisoners who have been denied fair and just treatment in the legal system. (Lifespark financially supports this organization)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics: All kinds of statistics from the Federal Bureau of Justice, to which detailed reports are attached
- Capital Defense Handbook: In this book you find a lot of helpful information in reference to capital punishment in the USA. It starts with a brief history of the death penalty. In the following chapters you learn more about the State and Federal Courts, the basics of trial from the arrest to the appeal and the appeal process. The handbook also contains helpful hints for persons with a family member accused of a capital crime, for support groups and for working with the lawyer, and provides information about the organization Murder Victims’ Families for Reconciliation. In the Appendixes you find a description of State and Appellants Courts on Direct Appeal and of Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal and the District of Columbia. A Model Case Summary and a Chart at the end of the handbook help laypersons understand the complicated procedures of capital cases. On the last page you find a glossary with the most important legal terms.
- Death Penalty Information Center: Compiles statistics, sections of topics such as juvenile, women, cost, etc.
- Equal Justice USA: Equal Justice USA has been working on a moratorium project all over the US. Visit the list of cities and districts who have so far signed the moratorium (Lifespark financially supports this organization)
- International Justice Project: The International Justice Project works towards the development, coordination and increased employment of international law and human rights standards as they pertain to capital punishment. Home based in Virginia, USA
- Journey of Hope… from violence to healing is an organization that is led by murder victim family members that conducts public education speaking tours and addresses alternatives to the death penalty. (lifespark financially supports this organization).
- Innocence Project of Florida: Our mission is to screen and investigate cases in which meritorious innocence claims are identified. (lifespark financially supports this organization)
- Juvenile Death Penalty. A website managed by the Death Penalty Information Center which includes extensive information on individual cases and resources for attorneys and advocates defending juveniles.
- Murder Victims’ Families for Human Rights: Massachusetts’s based organization of family members of murder victims and family members of the executed, all of whom oppose the death penalty in all cases. (lifespark financially supports this organization).
- Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty: Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty is an Alabama death row prisoner founded and run organization, established in 1989. Our mission is to work together with friends and other supporters to educate the public and to bring about the abolition of the death penalty in Alabama. (Lifespark financially supports this organization)
- Texas Coalition Against The Death Penalty: Working to end the death penalty through education and action. (lifespark financially supports this organization)
- Texas Defender Service: Directly representing death row inmates at all levels of the appellate process, concentrating primarily on representation in state and federal habeas corpus appeals. (lifespark financially supports this organization)
- Ensemble contre la peine de mort/Together Against the Death Penalty: Considering that the death penalty is an affront to human dignity and international law, ECPM has taken a firm stand against capital punishment and promotes its abolition, whoever the authority that applies the sentence and whatever the crime. The site is in French and English.
- European Union policy on death penalty
- Federal Department of Foreign Affairs: Switzerland is opposed to the death penalty under all circumstances and in all parts of the world.
- Initiative gegen die Todesstrafe: As a non-
profit association the German Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty gets involved for a world- wide abolition of the death penalty. In German and English.
- Hands Off Cain: Offers a daily updates of news related to the death penalty
- Reprieve:Reprieve is a small organization of courageous and committed human rights defenders. Founded in 1999 by British human rights lawyer Clive Stafford Smith, we provide free legal and investigative support to some of the world’s most vulnerable people: those facing execution (lifespark financially supports this organization)